Posted on June 9, 2011 at 7:35 PM
Whether you're first starting to be interested in goth or have been for a while there are a few things you need for a basic goth wardrobe. These items can be mixed and matched to create day-to-day outfits and even a couple of fancier ones. You can find most of these things just about anywhere, and they don't have to be expensive. They are just the basics, after all.
Basic Goth Clothing
- Black shoes. Your kind of shoe really depends on how you usually dress and what activities you do everyday. Tennis shoes are nice if you need to do a lot of physical things (obviously). Mary Janes are slightly fancier and good for gothloli outfits, but aren't always practical. A good pair of boots can be a happy medium, but it really is up to you.
- Plain T-shirts. Black tends to be preferred, but red, blue, white, and dark purple are also popular.
- At least two fancier shirts. Button up shirts or fluffy blouses in any of the colors listed for the T-shirts are usually easy to find and can work with many outfits.
- Black pants. What kind of pants depends on your style. (For example black slacks might be better for a more Victorian look whereas ripped up dark jeans would have more of a punk edge.)
- A black zip up hoodie. Not everyone likes them, but I think they are wonderful pieces of clothing. They're casual, but can be dressed up with a couple of petticoats and some eyeliner (or black slacks and dress shoes for those of you who don't wear skirts). If you don't care for hoodies then any light sweater or even a blazer will suffice.
- A winter coat. The specifics are your choice, but I always want my winter coats to be black, have a hood, be waterproof, and be long enough to cover my butt (that way if I sit on a bench that was wet it won't get my butt all wet).
Clothing Items for Girls (...or guys if you want to wear this stuff. I won't judge.)
- A couple of skirts in different styles. At least three of them. One of them should be something puffy to use as a petticoat under the others.
- Interestingly patterned tights. I am IN LOVE with striped tights. If you aren't (I don't know....maybe you think they're a cliche) then any pattern you want is fine. Around Halloween you can usually find neat tights and long socks. You should also probably have a pair of fishnets....although that is one thing I don't have......hmm......
- Just like in mainstream fashion you need a little black dress. In fact, in goth, black dresses are even more important. I suggest you have two black dresses, at least. Maybe a short one and a long one or one with a gothic lolita twist and one plain one.
If you have any suggestions just contact me. I'll probably get back to you faster if you send me a message on the site, but you can also email me at [email protected]yahoo.com . Also, I actually have a forum topic devoted to topics. Check it out, if you want.